April 4, 2007

Whatever gets you through the day

I just walked into a friend's office, and frantically requested a favor.

"Even if it's totally insincere, I need you to say something to me that will make me smile and feel better about myself," I pleaded.

He stopped what he was doing, turned to face me and said, "You are the most beautiful woman I've ever laid eyes on."

And he paused.

"And do you know what the best thing is?" he inquired. "I didn't even have to lie."

And he let me vent about my idiot bosses and my crazy kids and the crappy weather.

"Some days," I concluded, "are rotten enough that even lacy embroidered underwear and thigh-high stockings don't lift you up enough." And I turned to leave.

"Wait a minute!" he called after me. "You're just going to walk away and leave me with that mental image?!"

"Damned right I am," I smirked, "because that makes me smile."

No comments: