June 14, 2007

The Husband should be quite grateful

I got dressed this morning with the idea tickling the back of my mind that most of the boys were not on travel, and that I didn't have any meetings tying me to being at a certain place at a certain time, which leads to a maximum amount of interaction at the office and chances to chat.

My mock-wrap jersey dress was clean, and the unpredictable nature of the weather this week made it a good choice. Because the recent rain has resulted in a cooler day today, I opted not to go bare-legged and I chose closed-toe shoes. Since I was running a bit late, I hadn't had a chance to wash and blowdry my hair, so I spruced it up with a curling iron.

As I stopped into Nancy's desk to see if she wanted anything from the cafe when I went to get my morning chai, one of our VP's was leaving the boss' office.

"Very nice," he said, appraising my headband, the cut of the dress, and my high heels all in one sweeping glance. I may have batted my eyes slightly when I thanked him for the compliment.

Later, I stopped in to say hello to Isaac.

"Your hair looks different," he said, pondering.

"I curled it," I explained, "nothing elaborate." So we chatted for a few minutes, then I went on my merry way. And I made sure Isaac had a chance to see that I had hosiery, just in case he felt the need to speculate about thigh-highs.
*************************************************************
After lunch, I poked my head into Dan's office.

"Just saying 'hi.' I'm just being neighborly, and I saw Isaac earlier. I didn't want to be accused of playing favorites by checking in on him, but not on you."

"No offense taken," Dan assured me. "Seriously, it's not big deal if Isaac is your favorite."

"Honestly, I've been accused of favoritism before!" I told him. "Although who my favorite member of the-sales...marketing...customer mangement...whatever-team you all call yourselves these days seems to change. I think it's your turn, actually."

"Alright!" Dan smiled, "Let the rumors fly."
***************************************************************
A few minutes ago, I saw one of the technical guys, and he waved me into his office to indicate that he was almost done with his phone call.

"Hello, dahling," he vamped. "You look fabulous today, by the way." Totally unsolicited compliments! My favorite kind! We talked of the emergency evacuation earlier in the week (false alarm) and how our jobs drive us crazy with the "hurry up and wait" aspects.

"Hey, how are things looking for the fall conference?" he asked.

"They are looking just fine," I replied.

"So, you are indeed going?" he asked. "I want to have fun in Florida, so I need to know that you are going to Florida."

"Of course I am going to Florida. I have to go to the fall conference every year; the committee meetings cannot take without me because I plan and run the committee meetings. The committee meetings are always held during the fall conference."

"The conference is only two days this year, though?" he asked, as we walked to the elevator so he could attend a meeting.

"I'm going for longer than two days. Maybe you only get two days..." I parried.

"Well, I guess you're just special."

"You bet your ass I'm special," I reminded him. "I suppose I need to check the overall schedule, make sure I have an evening free when the whole technical gang is in town."

"Yes, you do need to," he fired back. "Your dance card can be full, but it can't result in conflicts."

"Just so you know," I warned him, "the marketing guys are already bidding for my time." One marketing guy in particular noted that we may finally have a chance for some uninteruppted time once we are at the hotel, but that doesn't need to be publicized.

"Face it, Dana, the technical guys are just more fun that the marketing boys," he prodded, as the doors opened.

"Yeah, we'll see about that," I said, as I stepped away from the closing doors.

Truth be told, all this attention has made me feel a bit sassier than normal. I think that the Husband and I may need to put the kids to be earlier tonight.

No comments: